Skip to main content

Freedom Pass Address Review

Have you received a letter asking you to confirm your current address?

Why we are doing this

We regularly check that the address details we hold for our Freedom Pass holders are correct and contact people if we think the details are out of date.

To ensure you remain eligible for a Freedom Pass you need to provide proof of your principal address in London.

Documents needed before confirming

We need proof of address documents that must be either the current document or within 3 months or it will not be accepted. The documents must be in your name.

  • Current council tax bill/letter/payment book
  • Current council/housing association rent book/statement/letter
  • Current television licence
  • Residential utility bill/letter (excluding mobile phone bills) dated in the last 3 months
  • HM Revenue and Customs letter dated in the last 3 months
  • Department for Work and Pensions letter dated in the last 3 months
  • Occupational pension letter dated in the last 3 months

Please note that we do not accept bank letters/statements as proof of address

Ready to confirm?

Confirm your current address in five simple steps online. If you no longer have access to the email address you used to set up your Freedom Pass online account, you should use the paper form.

1. Go online  

2. Log in if you already have an online account*, or create an account with an email address

3. Select 'Confirm/change my address'

4. Add your proof of address document (a photographed or a scanned image). We recommend that you have your proof of address ready before you go online.

5. Check and confirm your details are correct

That's it! We will check your proof of address and only contact you if we require further information. If you don't hear from us, don't worry, you can continue to use your pass.

*If you no longer have access to the email address you used to set up your Freedom Pass online account, you should use the paper form instead.

Please confirm your address as soon as possible as your Freedom Pass may be stopped if we do not receive your proof of address.

Frequently asked questions

I cannot use the website

If you cannot use the website, you can use the form on the back of the letter sent to you, and return it along with a copy (not the original) of the document proving your address.

Please send completed forms to: Freedom Pass Address Review, PO Box 6623, Arbroath, DD11 9AZ

Please remember to put a stamp on the envelope.

If you no longer have access to the email address you used to set up your Freedom Pass online account, you should use the paper form instead.

I'm experiencing issues creating an account

If you are creating an account please make sure that the details you have entered exactly match the details currently held against your Freedom Pass record.

Should you already have an existing account (which was created when you renewed or replaced your pass) you will need to login using the email address you used to set up the account.

If your email address has since changed you will need to log in with the original email address used or return your form by post.

You may have previously used your email address to create a Freedom Pass account for a partner, family member or friend. If so, you will need to create a new account with a different email address. Alternatively, please return your form by post.



I want to confirm my address online but I don't know how to attach my proof of address document on the website

There are step-by-step instructions on the website showing you how you can take a photograph of your document and add it to the website. You can watch the film online here

Do I need an email address to use the website?

Yes, you need to enter an email address to create an online account on the website. The benefits of setting up an account include receiving an update on how we are progressing with your eligibility review. For data security and to help reduce the risk of fraud, it is not possible to create more than one Freedom Pass account with the same email address.

Why are we doing this?

Only people whose main home is in a London borough are eligible for a Freedom Pass. We check all our passholders’ addresses by comparing them against those held by data matching agencies. If there are any differences we ask you, the passholder, to provide evidence of your current address. The Freedom Pass scheme will cost London boroughs £350 million in 2017/18, so we have a duty to ensure that only those people who are eligible for a Freedom Pass have one.

Why are you encouraging people to use the website?

Your council is keen to keep administrative costs down to allow it to continue to provide a comprehensive Freedom Pass scheme. Using the website is the most efficient and cost-effective method for you and your council.

Will I get a new pass?

No, you should continue to use your existing pass. We are only checking that your address details are up-to-date and that you are still eligible for the Freedom Pass.

Will I receive confirmation that my proof of address has been accepted?

If you use the website to confirm your address you can log into your account here and follow the progress of your eligibility review. We will email you when your evidence has been verified.

If you complete the paper form we will only contact you again if we require further information.

Using your personal information

London Councils and the London Borough in which you live will be responsible for your information which they, and their agents, will use to administer the Freedom Pass scheme for customer services and for research. Your information will not be used for marketing and will only be shared with other organisations (e.g. other local authorities, Transport for London, government departments and law enforcement agencies) to provide the services or where it is legal to do so (e.g. to detect and prevent crime and protect public funds). Your information may be matched with data from other sources, including CCTV or ticket usage data.

I've changed my name / other details, what should I do?

If you have changed any details other than your address, such as your name, please contact us: or call 0300 330 1433 (Mon-Sat 8.00am to 8.00pm). You must still confirm your current address online or using the form.

I have received a letter but have moved into the London Borough of Camden

If you have received a letter from London Councils but have moved into the London Borough of Camden please contact the borough directly by email to with the subject title 'Freedom Pass Address Review' and your review will be progressed.